When you’re going to install Windows on your computer or laptop, but you can’t select the disk that you want. And if you click Show details, you see below message which means that you can’t install Windows on a dynamic disk.
Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation.
Warning: If you did software RAID 0, or RAID 5 on the disk, converting the disk to basic will break the RAID and you will lose data on the RAID.
To fix this issue, you have to convert the disk to basic disk. In this article, I will use clean command in diskpart program to clear any data and information on the disk.
Watch on YouTube
- On the page that you have to select a disk to install Windows, press Shift + F10 to open command prompt window.
- Type diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list disk and press Enter. This command displays all disks on the computer.
- Select disk that you want. In this example, I will select the first disk (disk 0), so I type select disk 0 and press Enter.
- Then, type clean and press Enter to delete any information on the disk.
- Type exit and press Enter.
- Close the command prompt window.
- Click Refresh to update disk status.
- Now you can create partition or choose the disk to install Windows.
- Basic and Dynamic Disks
- Standard RAID levels